Saturday, October 13, 2012

Christmas Crafts-yes already!

I had sooo much fun a few weeks ago making Salt Dough ornaments with my Sister, Alexis. 
It took a few days for the dough to dry and be ready for my finishing touches. Here is a super simple recipe:
1 cup salt
2 cups all purpose flour
1 cup luke warm water 

1. In a large bowl, mix salt and flour, then slowly add in water. Mix just like bread. 
2. kneed the "dough" for about 5 minutes until it is smooth.
3. roll the dough out (we did 1/4" thick) and begin cutting and stamping!
4. Bake on wax paper on a cookie sheet in 200 degree oven for 5-6 hours- I have heard other ways such as a microwave or a 300 degree oven for 3 hours. If your willing to try, let me know how it works!

We inked our stamps and gently pressed them into the dough. Stampin' Up ink works great and doesn't come off after baked, they also have super cute stamps. We also used cookie cutters, different lids for circles and even just a knife to cut out the shapes. So much fun!

5. After the ornaments have rested a few days, I sanded down the edges to make them smooth
6. Mix some mod podge to coat the entire ornament- I also mixed some glitter to add dimension to some of the colors.
 7. You can stop now, or fill the pressed areas with Dimensioal Magic to add a little extra special touch.


8. After all that, let dry for a few days. Mine have been drying for a week ( I added more layers of dimensional magic to give them more fill), and that's it! Love these!







No comments:

Post a Comment